Leaning Post Wines only ships products within Canada.

The Fifty Pinot Noir, 2021

Shipped and sold by Leaning Post Wines

2021 Niagara Peninsula 750 mL, 12% ALC/VOL
$27.20
Pinot Noir
Critic's Rating 91 pts

Tasting Notes

A blend of fruit from 4 different Vineyards from 4 different sub-appellations, this wine explodes out of the glass with wonderful mulberry, cherry kirsch, pomegranate, and raspberry followed closely by dried basil and tarragon, layered over mushroom and tobacco leaf. The warmth of the 2020 vintage starts to show with some air, with more fullness and roundness than some previous vintages. The palate in particular shows good fullness in the mouth with glace cherry married to sugar beet, followed closely by damp leaves and dirt mixed with wet stone with traces of spice lingering on the wonderfully long finish. Balanced acidity follows a soft and supple mouthfeel that will age for 3-4 years but can certainly be enjoyed now.

Winemaking Notes

Picked from September 22 to October 1, with all grapes were hand-picked and hand-sorted. Left partially whole-cluster (25%) and the remaining crushed (75%), the majority of the Pinot Noir was put in concrete fermenters, where it soaked on skins prior to fermentation for 2 days until fermentation occurred spontaneously. During fermentation the skins were punched-down by hand 2 times per day. Once fermentation was finished the wine remained on skins for 3-5 days before being gently pressed. A portion was then transferred to French oak barrels (8% new, 92% older), while the remainder was kept in concrete tank where it underwent spontaneous malo-lactic fermentation and aged for 9 months. The Fifty Pinot Noir was bottled on August 24, 2021.

Critic's Rating

91pts
- Tony Aspler
Write Your Own Review
You're reviewing:The Fifty Pinot Noir
Your Rating

The 2021 vintage was a featured wine in May 2023's Wine Club package.

Tasting notes written by Tony Aspler.

Geographical Indication: VQA Niagara Peninsula
Vineyard: End of the Road Vineyard, Grimsby Hillside Vineyard, Hemeris Vineyard, Bock Vineyard
Residual Sugar: 3 g/L
Cases Produced: 297

Appearance: Crimson-ruby in colour.
Nose: Raspberry, dried tea-leaf nose with a suggestion of oak.
Palate: Medium-bodied, dry. Raspberry and strawberry flavours. Nicely balanced and easy drinking.
Quality: 89 – 91 points – Wine Club Canada. Very Good+ / Outstanding. Drink now or hold till 2024.

Food Pairing: Barbecued pork ribs, pear and brie crostini, roasted spiced duck with plums, poblano and pimiento cheese-roasted chicken, and salmon, arugula, and avocado salad.