Sandhill Wines only ships products within Canada.
Sandhill Pinot Gris, 2021
Shipped and sold by Sandhill Wines
GROWING CONDITIONS – 2020 Season
The months of May and June experienced cool, wet conditions which slowed growth, disrupting some spring bud development thereby reducing crop load in the vineyards. Summer began with a bang and from early July through August there was consistent sunshine, high heat units and timely rains. A very warm September provided the perfect conditions for any lagging maturity resulting from the slow spring start. The great weather continued into October, extending hang time for some varietals that needed that extra push. Overall, it was a great growing season with healthy canopies, the ability for the vines to respond to the weather, and fewer periods of shut down due to extreme heat, therefore allowing grape maturity to continue on an even and steady rate with optimum conditions. [The Naramata Bench saw 1470 GDD; The Osoyoos region saw 1616 GDD].
- Harvested from King Family and Hidden Terrace Vineyards.
- Picked and gently pressed, with very limited skin contact time, at cool temperatures to maximize fruit expression and fine texture.
- Cool fermentation, then aged in stainless steel tanks for 5 months.
- Clear and bright with fresh, clean aromas of Bartlett pear, melon, yellow apple, and a touch of banana and apricot.
- This medium-bodied Pinot Gris has a smooth, slightly rich mouthfeel.
- Wonderful flavours of pear, melon, and tropical fruit fill the mouth.
- Refreshing notes of green apple, citrus, and white currant linger on the finish.
- Serve lightly chilled at 14 to 15˚C (to enhance the rich mouthfeel). Pairs well with leek and mushroom quiche; sautéed scallops; crab cakes with mayo dipping sauce; coconut shrimp; poached salmon; pork tenderloin with pine-nut mushroom stuffing; chicken in a mushroom cream sauce; roast chicken or turkey; butternut squash soup with toasted almonds; barley, spring pea, toasted almond, parsley salad; potato fish cakes; Beemster Graskaas Gouda; roasted garlic hummus with pita chips.
The 2018 vintage was a featured wine in October's Wine Club package, 2020.
Tasting notes written by Tony Aspler.
Geographical Indication: BC VQA Okanagan Valley
Vineyard: King Family & Hidden Terrace vineyards
Residual Sugar: 2 g/L
Cases Produced: 9,866
Appearance: Light straw in colour.
Nose: Peach pit nose.
Palate: Medium-bodied, dry, green peach flavour with racy acidity and a touch of almond bitterness on the finish for added interest.
Quality: Very Good+. 88.5 points. Drink now.
Food Pairing: Herb-crusted salmon with Asian vegetables, roasted eggplant pomodoro, baked asparagus with chili aïoli, chicken and pico de gallo pizza, and pork skewers with pineapple and sesame-sprinkled broccoli.