Canadian wine delivered right to your door!

More Views

  • 2016 All Canadian Wine Championships, Silver
  • Decanter World Wine Awards 2016, Commended
  • InterVin International Wine Awards 2016, Honours Medal
  • International Wine & Spirit Competition 2016, Silver

Pinot Gris, 2015

Shipped and sold by 50th Parallel Estate

2015 Okanagan Valley 750 mL ,13.5% ALC/VOL

Availability: In stock

$21.85
Pinot Gris

Critic's Rating89 pts

Description

APPEARANCE:  Bright, perfectly clear, medium straw colour

AROMA:  Intense peach, blood orange and subtle lemongrass

PALATE:  Rich body, mouth watering concentrated stone fruit components most tuned to white flesh peach. Quince and ripe dried fig follow through in the mid-palate, where the well balanced acid line takes over from the initial fruit flavours to guide you through more subtle creamy and slightly spicy elements. The long and moreish finish has you and your friends thinking of a second bottle.

THINK OF:  Sunbathing lakeside on the dock with a water mister overhead. The breeze, the laughter of friends on the beach, the everlasting sunshine. A quintessentially Okanagan wine, (but don’t let the cat out of the bag).

All fruit was selectively hand harvested and whole bunch pressed then immediately cold settled without the presence of oxygen to ensure full aromatic expression. 80% of the juice was fermented cold in stainless steel tanks, while the remaining 20% fermented in 3 year old French oak barrels to enhance texture and complexity. A small percentage of the wine was also put through Malolactic fermentation to encourage mouthfeel and build fatness and depth in this vintage. Drink young to experience the full fresh vivacious fruit components, or cellar to soften and encourage smoother underlying textures for up to 5 years.

Awards & Ratings

Critic’s Rating:

89 pts

A long, dry, hot summer created a disease free (and a smoke free) growing conditions and an early start led to a mid-September pick which was a record at 50th Parallel. A slightly smaller crop weight helps to increase flavour concentrations. All fruit was selectively hand harvested and whole bunch pressed then immediately cold settled without the presence of oxygen to ensure full aromatic expression. Most of the juice is fermented cold in stainless steel but some 20% goes into three-year old French oak barrels to add texture and complexity. Look for sophisticated Intense peach, nectarine citrus nose with some underlying mineral notes. Love the creamy quince, fig flavours mostly dry finish. Serve with your favourite summer plates from salmon to chicken and everything in between.

- Anthony Gismondi

Awards:

  • 2016 All Canadian Wine Championships, Silver 2016 All Canadian Wine Championships, Silver
  • Decanter World Wine Awards 2016, Commended Decanter World Wine Awards 2016, Commended
  • InterVin International Wine Awards 2016, Honours Medal InterVin International Wine Awards 2016, Honours Medal
  • International Wine & Spirit Competition 2016, Silver International Wine & Spirit Competition 2016, Silver

Reviews

This product doesn't have reviews yet

Be the first and write a review

Write a review

Rate this product: *

← Back to reviews list

Tasting Notes

This wine was featured in March's Wine Club package.

 

Geographical Indication: Okanagan Valley, B.C.

Vineyard: Estate Vineyard

Cases Produced: 3,100

 

Appearance: Bright, clear, pale straw in colour.

Nose: Medium intensity, delivering red apple, honeysuckle and ripe peach aromas, with secondary lemon meringue, and pear notes. 

Palate: The fruit on this medium-bodied white is fresh and lively, brimming with peach, red apple, pear and sweet lemon notes as well as underlying vanilla and spice notes balanced by modest acidity. 

Quality: While the bright, fresh fruit means this is drinking quite well right now, the complexity on the palate thanks to a portion of the juice undergoing malolactic fermentation as well as aging in older oak means this Pinot Gris could be put away for a couple of years. 

Food Pairing: Spanakopita,chicken pot pie, pumpkin ravioli, breaded pickerel.

 

Wine Writer’s Comment:

B.C. producers continue to defy the convention that Pinot Gris has to be boring, and 50th Parallel’s example is a stellar example of the grape’s potential when it’s done right.

 

A portion of the wine underwent malolactic fermentation, and 20 per cent of the wine also spent some time in three-year-old French barrels, adding texture and weight that delivers additional complexity.

 

While this white brings fresh fruit, some acidity and great intensity — making it a perfect candidate for drinking now — it’s fun to imagine where this wine will go over the next couple of years.

 

— Ben MacPhee-Sigurdson, Winnipeg Free Press

Related Products

Back to Top