Leaning Post Wines only ships products within Canada.

The Fifty Chardonnay, 2021

Shipped and sold by Leaning Post Wines

2021 Niagara Peninsula 750 mL, 12.5% ALC/VOL
$25.20
Chardonnay
Critic's Rating 91 pts

Tasting Notes

The 2021 Vintage was full of rainy days which lead to larger yields than expected.  This gave us the chance to use a combination of concrete, stainless steel and neutral oak barrels for the fifty chardonnay.  The nose of this wine is full of floral fruit blossoms, pineapple, and peach followed up with lemon meringue and crème fraiche.  The palate has a refreshing reflection of the nose with lemon tart and tropical fruit notes but it also showcases a minerality, and wet stone characteristic that leads to the long, elegant finish.  This wine will age well for the next 5-8 years.  Enjoy with brie, sole meuniere, and lemon-roasted chicken.

Winemaking Notes

The 2021 The Fifty Chardonnay is a blend of two different vineyard with three different picking dates.  The 2021 vintage brought a lot of rain which provided us with large yielding but created some challenges when it came to ripening in the vineyards.  The first portion of this wine was harvested off the flats of the Grimsby Hillside Vineyard on September 29th.  Just over two weeks later October 17 the slope of Grimsby Hillside was harvested and, Hemeris Vineyard was harvested the very next day October 18th.  After a gentle press and a few days to settle, 80% of this wine was fermented in concrete and the remaining 20% was fermented in Stainless steel.  Once fermentation was completed, all the wine was aged on full lees in concrete, stainless steel and neutral oak barrels for 8 months.  After lees-aging, it was racked, lightly filtered, and bottled on September 19th, 2022. 

Total Production 772 cases

Critic's Rating

91pts
This is very good value in a well balanced, fairly sleek unoaked chardonnay. The barrels and tanks are mostly replaced by concrete in this vintage, adding some weight, filling in the cracks. There is classic apple/pear fruit, very light spice and vanillin. It's texture elegant almost satiny texture that impresses most. The acid and alcohol are in good harmony with the fruit, and the length is very good to excellent. Tasted July 2023
- David Lawrason, WineAlign
Write Your Own Review
You're reviewing:The Fifty Chardonnay
Your Rating

The 2020 vintage was a featured wine in May 2023's Wine Club package.

Tasting notes written by Tony Aspler.

Geographical Indication: VQA Niagara Peninsula
Vineyard: Grimsby Hillside Vineyard, Senchuk Vineyard, Hemeris Vineyard
Residual Sugar: 3 g/L
Cases Produced: 540

Appearance: Light straw colour.
Nose: Toasty, apple bouquet with light citrus notes.
Palate: Medium-bodied, dry, peachy, melon flavour. Beautifully balanced with well-integrated oak.
Quality: 92 points – Wine Club Canada. Outstanding. Drink now and through 2024.

Food Pairing: Greek salad wraps with grilled halloumi, white pizza with wild mushrooms, fettucine alfredo with grilled chicken, seared ahi tuna steak, and clam risotto with bacon and chives.