After a long day, there is nothing better then curling up with a glass of delicious red wine. There is a vast amount of red wine varietals that are used to produce red wines, and its those grapes that usually determine the flavours and attributes of red wine. The most popular red wine grape varietals are: Pinot Noir, Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, Syrah and Malbec. Red wines are commonly used in the production of blends, which are known as Meritage or Bordeaux. Three popular varietals for blends are Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc and Merlot. Red blends are typically rich and full of flavours and aromas.
The Flavours of Red Wine
The colour of a red wine is dependent on the grape skin it is produced from, which can range from a soft, light red to a deep, robust violet or maroon. Red wines can range from light to full-bodied and can produce an array of flavours. Lighter style reds, such as Gamay, have fruity raspberry and cherry tart flavours with a fresh pepper nose. Whereas a full-bodied red, such as Merlot, has structured tannins with more earthy flavours. Other flavours you can expect to find in red wines are: cherry, plum, strawberry, blackberry, raspberry, pepper, tobacco, leather, licorice, smoke and fig.
Pairing Red Wine with Food
Red wines pair extremely well with food because of their moderate tannins and acidity. Pair a lighter red with roast turkey or a simple salad. Pair a heavier, full-bodied red wine with red meat such as steak or game, or other richer-flavoured dishes.
Buy Red Wine in Canada Online
We are very proud of the diverse selection of red wine in Canada, which is why we have a massive catalogue of red wines for sale online. These are some of the finest selections of red wine in Canada and we have them conveniently available at your fingertips. Order red wine in Canada online today.
Items 1-12 of 692
- Baco Noir, 201420 Bees Wines, Niagara Peninsula$10.95Sold Out
- Ruggles Run Gamay Noir Zweigelt VQA, 2017Pelee Island Winery, Lake Erie North Shore$10.95
- Warm 'n Cozy, NVSprucewood Shores Estate Winery, Lake Erie North Shore$11.95
- Merlot, 2011Squeezed Wines, Okanagan Valley$12.00
- Red, 2013Squeezed Wines, Okanagan Valley$12.00Sold Out
- Syrah, 2014Squeezed Wines, Okanagan Valley$12.00
- FRESH Perspectives Satin Red, 2014Fresh Wines, Niagara Peninsula$12.95
- 20 Bees Baco Noir, NVLakeview Wine Co., Niagara Peninsula$12.95
- 20 Bees Cabernet Merlot, NVLakeview Wine Co., Niagara Peninsula$12.95
- Monarch Red, 2019Pelee Island Winery, Lake Erie North Shore$12.95
- Caboom!, NVSprucewood Shores Estate Winery, Lake Erie North Shore$13.15
- Pinot Noir, 2015Seasons Wines, Niagara Peninsula$13.95Sold Out